Sunday, 12 June 2016

Reading Challenge: Read only female authors for a year Part 2/?

I thought I'd update my list of female authors/books that I've read since I wrote in March.

* - indicates a book I've not read before
  • The Sense and Sensibility Screenplay and Diaries - Emma Thompson*
  • Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen*
  • The Otori Trilogy, The Harsh Cry of the Heron and Heaven's Net is Wide* - Lian Hearn
  • Emma - Jane Austen*
  • Shadow Scale - Rachel Hartman*
  • The Blue Sword - Robin McKinley
  • Volumes 1 - 7 of My Love Story!  - a Manga by Kazune Kawahara*
  • Anya's Ghost - Vera Brosgol*
  • Everyone Worth Knowing - Lauren Weisberger
  • A Book of a Thousand Days - Shannon Hale
  • Uprooted - Naomi Novik*
  • Go Set A Watchman - Harper Lee*

So so far, 13/22 books have been ones I'd either never finished (Heaven's Net is Wide, Emma) or not read before at all.  Well done me. 

I do feel as though after reading Go Set A Watchman I need to read To Kill A Mockingbird again. So that'll probably be the next one, followed by Love, Nina: Dispatches from Family Life by Nina Stibbe. 

Nick Hornby has done a drama adaptation of the latter book which I'm kinda getting into - it's daft and a bit weird and it often is in that grey, no-man's-land between awful and good... Probably not selling it well, but I wanted to read the material it's come from, which has got very good reviews. 

I'm still processing what I thought about Go Set A Watchman - I will probably say nothing that hasn't been said before, but I do think that if you're curious or enjoyed TKAM or are a literary student or are on the fence, you should go for it. It was tricky reading at one point but I think that's because our emotions and opinions regarding Atticus are so intricately entwined with Scout's that it was hard not to feel the emotional blow. 

Also it makes very excellent points about racism, the history of the South in general and also that it wasn't just disaffected, uneducated, hooligan white men that joined the KKK or Citizen Councils - it was full of educated, moderate, decent people too, which people often forget and I feel is as relevant to social causes and movements now as it was when it was written in the 50s. 

No comments: