Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Humanist Marriages are now one step closer to realisation.

Dear Chief Mauskateer,

I wanted to write to you to pass the good news that government has now accepted the proposal I put forward in an amendment to the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill to give legal recognition to humanist marriages!

When the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill was being debated in the Commons I received a large number of emails and letters from constituents in support of my humanist marriage amendment- it was hugely encouraging to know that the campaign for humanist marriages had so much support from such a wide range of constituents.

Although the government initially opposed my amendment I am delighted that a crossbench Lords amendment to the same effect has now been given government support. Under the new proposals which have been made the government will be able to give humanist marriages legal recognition once a review has taken place (due to be completed by the end of 2014). Further details can be found on the British Humanist Association’s website.

As a humanist and as a Lib Dem I am thrilled that legally recognised humanist marriages in England are now within sight. I hope that you will be pleased by this news and thank you once again for writing to me in support of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill and humanist marriage.

Yours sincerely,

Julian Huppert
Member of Parliament for Cambridge

No comments: