Saturday, 16 January 2010

"When I get a house, I'll get a wok. Maybe even an expensive one."

One of the few things I've planned about my future home; a wok. A proper one. For stir-frying and generally cooking larger portion meals without making a mess. Don't know where I'll live, how long, or with whom, but I do know a few things: I shall avoid the sort of drive my house is on at the moment, I shall have an induction hob, and an oven like my neighbour's which cleans itself (almost literally - you heat it up to a certain setting, then sweep out the debris later).

Yep. It's not as fussy as if I'd said ''I want a 16th century thatched cottage with double glazing, a full open fire, an acre garden" and with that sort of detail. Those small things I have planned are pretty much stuff that doesn't affect which house I buy. Wahey.

Saw Holmes the other day. It's an enjoyable watch, but I can entirely see why it was a bit of a flop with the critics that weren't hired by The Sun. There are some lines which my friends and I found hilarious - can't remember what they were, but they were funny at the time. It's Sherlock Holmes in that you don't fully understand the entire film until the end when he explains it, but my god. After a while, I did think ''actually, this plot makes all the original plots by Conan Doyle more plausible"!
It was only at the end of the film, when the credits began to role, that I realised why I'd got (though I couldn't name it at the time) a ''Rock'n'Rolla in the 1800s" feeling: Guy Ritchie was the director. Somehow, when we knew that, the entire film made a lot more sense.

It was Guy Ritchie in every respect: London, dark, grimey, main characters aren't exactly... perfect gentlemen, though poor Watson does try, with his fiancee. There's the American temptress, the big bad guy (Mark Strong again), dodgy pagan rituals (cause that's what happened in 19th Century London...) and fist fights with over-the-top sound effects that are akin to every other fist fight in every other film he's directed.

One reviewer had commented that some of Robert Downey Jr's lines had suffered from his over-concentration on his accent, and I had to say I could see what that reviewer at meant: some of his lines at the start were a little *too* deliberate, *too* slowly given and for some reason, it sounded as though he was trying to be Patrick Stewart.

Still a good film to watch with friends - it'll probably be a 2 or 3 star film, depending on the person rating the film for the television guide or video store.


Going to see It's Complicated with some other friends, tonight. I'm not actually a huge fan of Alec Baldwin - he annoys me. His one line in Notting Hill even annoys me. However Meryl Streep should, along with the stupid plotline (Divorce couple reaping the benefits of sex with no real ties) should outweigh the 'ick factor' that he exudes.

No comments: