Tuesday, 12 January 2010

One of the Most Miserable Beings in Existance. And One of the Most... Demanding.

The BBC has started a new campaign of short, online series for various genres. The Eastenders homepage advertises an internet spin-off, which allows real-t.v. crossover characters to have their own private t.v. show on the website. [It's called E20 if you're that desperate to look. I haven't, since the characters annoyed me on the actual t.v. show.]
This idea, of creating internet-only programs is in its way a fun idea, but at the same time could, in the long-term, result in further movement away from comfortable sofas to the computer chair, as we await the buffering and downloading of BBC iPlayer, rather than put up with M&S adverts, or DFS Sales.

I use BBC iPlayer a lot - At university, without a television, I keep up to date with Casualty and Holby City and the occasional burst of Eastenders (sometimes I have a free 3ominutes that can be filled with that) that I watch after it's been aired online. This is fine, at university, where streaming is entirely possible, even if you've got a 50GB torrent or something being downloaded elsewhere in the building, but at home it takes longer to watch Eastenders online than it does to watch it later on BBC3 on freeview.
I prefer watching television in the lounge. I may occasionally prefer to stay in bed to watch something, but overall, I like the sofa or arm chair, the communal space and the idea of the television screen, rather than just watching everything on my computer.

However there are online comedy shorts, of about 5 minutes that I keep an eye on are Misery Bear and Henry 8.0.
The former is about the most miserable being in existence, and indeed, you feel rather guilty at being, if only a little, amused at the poor stuffed toy's misadventures. They are ultimately sad, but I think that the mastership of whomever is moving the poor thing around is to be admired. Somehow, even though he hasn't got a mouth, it seems perfectly natural to see him brushing them, drinking, eating, or even for him to be able to sit on a toilet at least 30cm taller than he is.

The latter is Brian Blessed as Henry VIII, living in a modern suburban house with the reluctantly-doting and longer-than-planned-suffering Catherine Parr, who has to remind him occasionally to calm down or to think. It would seem that the king of France is still alive, and they have moved their transcontinental wars to a more convenient Twitter page each.
Brian Blessed is naturally being Brian Blessed, but at the same time, it's rather fun hearing the historical references and seeing a man dressed as he would have in the 1500s on the phone to BT to yell at I.T Support.

I'm sure David Starkey will be thrilled to watch this.

No comments: