Sunday, 24 January 2010

And the worst film. Possibly.

I have just watched Four Weddings and a Funeral all the way through for the first time, with my flatmates. I thought I'd watch it for the company, but also cause I've seen most, but not all, and I felt I should watch all to see if I've just missed the supposed magic that everybody talks about when referring to this "classic".

In brief:

Four Weddings and a Funeral is *the* most over-rated film known to man. Honestly. It's the film everybody says that you must see, and I *think* it's to cringe at Andie McDowell's rendition of the script, Hugh Grant's d├ębut as Himself and to go "oo look that's..." at a massive cast of actors we all recognise and/or love, looking about 17 years younger.

Good grief. I can't believe people prefer it over Notting Hill. At least Julia Roberts can act, dammit.
Nicer plot, too. I mean, yeah, in 4Ws 1F everyone pairs up. That's nice. Apart from the gay couple - one dies, instead. Yer. The best acted scene, actually, the funeral. And the sex, I guess.

But no. He falls in love with a woman. She marries somebody else, just for the sake of it. He decides he might as well marry someone with a nice face so marries a girl that's only just got past the crazy weeping stage of life without him 3 or 4 years down the line, only to jilt her at the altar, cause he found out the girl he loves has had a divorce. What's nice about that? Specially since the last few minutes include the worst delivered lines ever spoken by anybody, to be further ruined by Andie McDowell; "Is it raining? I hadn't noticed" - dull, flat, and utterly forgotten line even by the actress, just that they'd run out of money to do a better take.
 
 
Honestly, that film wasn't overly entertaining, apart from the whole fashion thing, and comparing wedding styles - I thought Anna Chancellor and her wedding dress was pretty much identical to my aunt and her wedding dress. And the funniest guy was probably the one that died, actually. Shame.
James Fleet was playing the usual sort of character - rich baffoon.
Hugh Grant was himself, as before mentioned.
Andie McDowell was being scouted for L'Oreal adverts, who ironically sponsered the film. Not kidding.
Kristin Scott-Thomas, of course, was acting, and Anna Chancellor.
But Sophie Thompson and various others were just playing characters we're used to seeing in film and t.v.

No comments: